The Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) in her bid to support and promote education, is delighted to announce 50 scholarships under the IsDB Merit Scholarship Programme, 2019-2020 for High Technology. The scholarships will be awarded to successful applicants effective September. Eligible persons are welcome to Visit www.isdb.org to fill the Application Form.
About IsDB Programme
The Scholarship Programmes are an important tool in the development initiatives led by the IsDBsince 1983 to foster technology and knowledge sharing among member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries.
The Programmes are designed to attract talented male and female students and build the right competence required to empower communities with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” in line with the approved fields to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
What are the IsDB Member Countries
IsDB Member Countries are drawn from the various Islamic Emirates and Cities that formed. The IsDB Membership consists of 57 Countries.
The prerequisite of joining the system is just to be a member of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), also will be willing to pay levies to the capital of the Bank, by doing such accepts the terms and conditions as may be decided upon by the IDB Board of Governors. The Members are graded based on paid-up capital. This has made the major shareholders be:
One of the Major Vision of this group is the www.isdb.org Scholarship 2019 Application. To see complete list Click Here
About IsDB Scholarships
For over (3) three decades, the Bank has been funding the following programmes for studies and researches in development-related fields and has helped to form a pool of over 9,000 well-trained and experienced development professionals and researchers transforming their countries and positively impacting future generations:
- Undergraduate Scholarship Programme: Since 1983, the programme has offered scholarship opportunities to 13996 students to study first degree-level education. So far, 8,987 have graduated and 2,379 are currently pursuing their study.
- Master Scholarship Programme: Since 1998, the programme has offered scholarship opportunities to 710 students to study masters programme. So far, 364 have graduated and 142 are currently pursuing their study.
- Ph.D. and Post-doctoral research Programme. Since 1993, the programme has offered scholarship opportunities to 1,201 students to study Ph.D. and undertake post-doctoral research. So far, 581 have graduated and 277 are currently pursuing their study/research.
- IsDB/ISFD Programme for Vocational Training and Undergraduate Studies: This programme is an IsDB new initiative for 21 LDMCs funded by the Islamic Solidarity Fund for Development (ISFD) for the next ten years, starting from 2018 aiming at promoting entrepreneurship and reducing poverty.
- Joint Programme with The World Academy of Science (TWAS) in Trieste, Italy for Sustainability Science, Technology and Innovation: This programme started in 2017 as an IsDB initiative for capacity building aiming at building critical mass in the fields of Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) to address the sustainable development challenges of its member countries.
- Partnership Programmes with Reputable top universities
- Setting-up Alumni for the IsDB graduates
- News & Events for the IsDB scholarship programmes
- Inquiry: To inquire about additional information on the programmes, please contact the IsDB directly the IsDB through e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Scholarship Programme
The Programme was launched in 1983 with the objective to provide educational opportunities for the academically meritorious young students from member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries to pursue undergraduate or first-degree study in a university and to train them in specific fields to empower communities with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in their communities and countries.
The Concept of the Programme
The Programme is more than just a scholarship programme in the traditional sense of straight financial assistance to qualified students.
It is also a tool for the improvement of the socio-economic conditions of the member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries as a whole.
It is a scholarship programme and a development programme at the same time since the students are required to play a leading role in assisting the development of their communities and countries. In other words, the IsDB aims to produce Good Citizens and Competent Professionals (GCCP)at the same time.
Islamic Development Bank Scholarship for Masters
The Programme was launched in 1998 with an objective to assist IsDB member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries in the development of their human capitals in key areas of development with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” to achieve the SDGs. The programme aims specifically to:
- increase the number of intermediate level technological manpower in the beneficiary countries which is necessary for effective technology development, transfer and maintenance; and
- enhance the ability of students to participate in the IsDB Ph.D. and Post-doctoral research programme.
The Concept of the Programme
- The Programme offers scholarships leading to a full-time Master degree (in 2 years maximum) in key areas of development with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” in line with the IsDB President’s new strategy to empower communities to achieve the SDGs.
- The programme study may be through course work, research or a combination of both. Whichever the mode, it must be completed within the specified two-year time frame and there is no possibility of an extension with the IsDB funding.
Islamic development bank scholarship for Ph.D.
Ph.D and Post-doctoral research Programme
The Programme was introduced in 1992. It aims at developing technically qualified human resources in the IsDB member countries and Muslim Communities in non-member countries by providing scholarships to promising and outstanding scholars and researchers to undertake advanced studies and research in development-related fields with a special focus on “Sustainability Science”.
The main objectives of this programme are to enhance the scientific, technological and research capability/ and the potential of scholars and researchers and strengthen the scientific, technological and research capability of their institutions.
The Concept of the Programme
The Programme offers scholarships and is designed to help promising professionals and researchers to pursue a full-time Ph.D. study and/or Post-doctoral research in key areas of development with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” in line with the IsDB President’s new strategy to empower communities to achieve the SDGs.
The programme study may be through course work, research or a combination of both. Whichever the mode, it must be completed within the specified three-year time frame and there is no possibility of an extension with the IsDB funding.
IsDB Scholarship programme
The Programme is funded by the Islamic Solidarity Fund for Development (ISFD), with the specific aim of reducing poverty in 21 Least Developed Member Countries.
The Programme aims at providing opportunities to financially impoverished, but academically successful young men and women to pursue bachelor degree and/or technical diploma in the scientific and social disciplines. The ultimate aim is to improve their socio-economic conditions and enable them to make a meaningful contribution to the development of their countries.
The Concept of the Programme
The scholarship is awarded as an interest-free Flex-Pay Installment Loan (Qard Hasan) to the students. Repayment will take place once the students finish their study and secure gainful employment, to a Local Education Trust Fund (LETF) established in each member country benefiting from the Programme.
Joint Programme with The World Academy of Science (TWAS) in Trieste
This Islamic Development bank programme is in joint cooperation with the World Academy of Science (TWAS) in Trieste, Italy. It started in 2017 as an IsDB initiative for capacity building aiming at building critical mass in the fields of Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) to address the sustainable development challenges of its member countries.
The main objective of the Islamic Development bank programme is to contribute to building critical mass among young scientists, researchers and refugee scientists in the fields of STI relevant to the SDGs.
The programme offers:
Post-Doctoral Fellowships: The Fellowships will support scientists for research visits of 3 months in selected Centers of Excellence. Fellowships will be awarded to scientists who will have a role in empowering their society.
Grants for Joint Research and Technology Transfer Projects
- The Grants will fund joint projects to bring together complementary expertise that will tackle complex global challenges that often require an interdisciplinary approach.
- One joint project will be selected. The project will see two research groups from different IDB countries. The research question will likely focus on an issue relevant to both countries involved. Grants will be assigned on a competitive basis to those projects which actually produce a major and real-time impact.
High-Level Training Workshops on the Science-Policy-Diplomacy Nexus: It aims to conduct high-level training workshops on the Science-Policy-Diplomacy Nexus that would bring together scientists, policy-makers and diplomats to focus on issues of high priority for the region and within the context of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Support for Refugee Scientists and Other Scientists at risk in IDB Member Countries
- It aims to support refugee scientists and other scientists at risk in Islamic Development bank IsDB member countries that are being affected by civil strife or war.
- Efforts will be made to support them at universities and research centers in other Islamic Development bank IsDB member countries, but also in other countries
Implementation: TWAS with its affiliated bodies and the network of partners will be implementing all activities envisaged under this programme. TWAS will be the IsDB’s focal point in supervising the implementation of this programme and will be fully responsible for the coordination of all the activities relating to the programme.
Implementation schedule: The programme is scheduled to be implemented within 4 years starting from 2019.
Partnership Programme with Reputable universities in the world
To combine academic rigors with cost savings, the Bank initiated a campaign of cooperating with top universities in the form of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to place IsDB scholars on a cost-sharing basis. Such cooperation has not only resulted in saving but also excelled the image of Islamic Development bank IsDB scholarship programmes internationally.
The partnership programme includes Universities of Cambridge, Queen Mary, Imperial College London, University College London in the UK, Copenhagen University in Denmark, Princeton University in the USA, and McGill University in Canada. Thanks to all these universities for their kind support and contribution to building future leaders to champion this move in all sectors development and creating a global village.
IsDB Alumni for the Graduates
In view of the importance of the graduates as human capital, which the Islamic Development Bank supported and invested in developing their abilities, and in order to ensure their continued active participation in the service of their communities, the Bank is creating an appropriate forum for them to interact and share their scientific knowledge and benefit from the results of their research work in order to implement new projects Leading to economic growth in the Member States.
The 2019-2020 call for scholarship applications is now closed. The call for 2020-2021 Academic year will be open at a later date and interested candidates are welcome to submit their applications through the link which will be provided for this purpose at a later time.