DOH Scholarship for medical students in the Philippines is available to Filipino students in the field of medicine and midwifery. Read through for eligibility and how to apply.
The Department of Health (DOH) will be offering scholarships for medicine and midwifery for the academic year 2019-2020 to prospective students willing to work in public health after graduation.
One of the more popular ways of getting into med school via a scholarship program is through the Department of Health’s DOH Scholarship for Medical Students. A similar program is also available for those who want to take up midwifery in college. Take your time and go the article, the World Scholarship Forum Team has arranged all the details you need for the DOH Medical Scholarship Programs.
Why the Medical Scholarship?
Entering medical school can be a challenge for aspiring doctors. Not only that you have to endure the National Medical Admission Test (NMAT), add to that the tedious screening process to enrol at your desired institution, but also the relatively higher cost (compared to other courses) it entails.
Fortunately, Medicine scholarships in Philippines are available to those deserving students who want to proceed to enrol in medical school.
We have previously posted on the several ways to get a medical scholarship in Philippines, which can still be availed of as of posting.
This DOH Medicine Scholarships in the Philippines can be accessed in different forms such as;
- scholarship for medicine students in the Philippines
- medical school scholarships in the Philippines
- government scholarship for medicine in the Philippines
- med school scholarship in the Philippines
- scholarship programs for medicine in the Philippines
- scholarship for medical students in the Philippines
More Information About DOH Medical Scholarships 2019-2020
Recently, the DOH announced that they are already accepting applicants for the DOH scholarship program 2019.
It is available to all Filipino students, with good moral character, who have passed the admission requirements of the DOH and the chosen partner-school, and with no existing scholarship grants from other company or agency or with return service obligation at the time of application.
The DOH Medicine Scholarship Program includes all four years of medical education, including summer immersion programs prior to the second and third years of medicine, and one year of post-graduate internship.
The DOH Midwifery Scholarship Program covers all four years of a Bachelor of Science in Midwifery. In return, scholars will be expected to work for two years in public health for every year of schooling shouldered by the DOH.
Priority will be given to prospective students from low-income families, from geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas or from the country’s twenty poorest municipalities and cities, and from indigenous communities or the national minorities; dependent of government employees and active police and military personnel; victims of calamities; and Barangay Health Workers and traditional birth attendants.
The DOH Medical Scholarship Programs aim to decrease the stark inequity in health human resource distribution within the Philippines by ensuring the presence of service-oriented human resources for health in identified priority areas, usually geographically-isolated rural areas.
The program covers students of the following state universities:
- University of the Philippines- Ermita, Manila
- Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila- Intramuros, Manila
- Cagayan State University- Carig Sur, Tuguegarao City
- West Visayas State University- Lapaz, Iloilo City
- University of the Philippines School of Health Sciences- Palo, Leyte
- Mindanao State University- Bonifacio Ave., Iligan City
What really is DOH all about?
The Philippine Department of Health (abbreviated as DOH) is the executive department of the Philippine government responsible for ensuring access to basic public health services by all Filipinos through the provision of quality health care and the regulation of all health services and products.
It is the government’s over-all technical authority on health. It has its headquarters at the San Lazaro Compound, along Rizal Avenue in Manilla.
The department is led by the Secretary of Health, nominated by the President of the Philippines and confirmed by the Commission on Appointments.
The Secretary is a member of the Cabinet. The current Secretary of Health is Francisco Duque.
NOTE: Our Scholarship Award Winning Ebook (worth $50) is up for grab, if you’re reading this article, you stand a chance to win one of our Scholarship Ebook. Read through for eligibility on how to get our scholarship ebook for free.
What You Need to Know About DOH Medicine Scholarship in Philippine 2019
Level/Field of study:
The DOH Medical scholarships are available for pursuing the undergraduate programme in the field of medicine and midwifery in any of the scholarship partner Institution.
The DOH Scholarships for Medical Students 2019, is hosted by the Department of Health, Philippines in partnership with Universities.
There are several United Kingdom Scholarships available for International students in 2019. You can utilize these scholarship opportunities to solve most of your academics problems. Check out other scholarships you can apply for in 2019 to study in Europe, Africa, Asia, America, etc.
The Medicine Scholarship in the Philippines is available to all Filipino students, with good moral character, who have passed the admission requirements of the DOH and the chosen partner-school.
Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
Aside from the DOH Medical Scholarship 2019, there are other scholarships available to international students to study abroad. You can check our scholarship by country to access all scholarships available.
The DOH Medical Scholarship in the Philippines package of the program covers:
1. tuition, laboratory, miscellaneous, and other school fees, to be paid directly to the partner schools
2. allowance paid directly to scholars, composed of:
a. living subsidy- PhP4,500 per month
b. lodging allowance- PhP3,000 per month
c. transportation allowance- PhP800 per month
d. book allowance- PhP12,100 per semester
e. uniform allowance- PhP3,025 per semester
f. miscellaneous allowance- PhP5,500 per semester
3. annual medical insurance- PhP2,400 per year, to be paid directly to the Philippine Health Insurance Corp.
The number of offers in DOH Scholarships for Medical Students in the Philippines 2019, was not specified.
Eligibility for DOH Medical Scholarship 2019
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the medicine scholarship Philippines 2019:
- Must be a natural Filipino citizen
- Must be a holder of Bachelor’s Degree conferred upon by a duly recognized education institution(for the postgraduate program)
- Must have complied with all academic preparations
- General Weighted Average of 2.50 or its equivalent or better (depending on the medical school)
- Must have an NMAT of 45 and above (depending on the medical school)
- Must have no failure in any subject in the undergraduate course (depending on the medical school)
- Must have no record of having been dropped from any medical school
- Must have no record of having been denied admission
- Must have no record of the conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude
- Must pass the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test)
- Must have passed a panel of interview
How to Apply for DOH Scholarship for Medicine 2019
- Prospective students should apply directly to any of the DOH’s partner schools listed above; only those who have been admitted to their school of choice will be eligible for the scholarship.
- Incoming and currently enrolled students (1st year to PGI) in mentioned public medical schools who are interested to apply may accomplish the application form with complete attachment, to be submitted to Schools’ scholarship coordinator for consolidation.
- Initial Screening: Students shall apply directly to any of eight DOH partner schools and should meet the minimum criteria/requirements. Only those who have been admitted to the partner schools are eligible to apply for the DOH scholarship.
- Final Screening: Validation and final evaluation of applicants by the DOH based on set criteria. Successful scholar applicants shall be notified through the Scholarship Department of the partner schools.
Documents to be Accomplished
- Copy of Barangay Certification/Certification of a Bona Fide Resident of the Community
- Copy of Combined Family Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Certificate of Indigency (if applicable)
- Certification from National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) (if applicable)
Know more about Education in the Philippines
Not only is the Philippines a beautiful country, but Philippines Education is also one of the best higher education systems in Asia, ranked 46th in the first edition of the QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings.
Offering the opportunity to study in English at an affordable cost, the Philippines attracts over five thousand international students a year from across the globe, with most coming from other countries in East Asia.
There are almost 2,300 higher education institutions in the Philippines, the majority of which are private. Many universities are affiliated with Roman Catholicism, which reflects the country’s colonial past.
Of the public institutions funded by the government, the national university, University of the Philippines, receives the most funding.
Four top universities in the Philippines are ranked among the world’s best in the QS World University Rankings 2018, with a further two featured in the QS Asia University Rankings 2018. The top four are:
- University of the Philippines: Ranked joint 367th in the World University Rankings 2018 and 75th in Asia
- Manila University: The Ateneo de Manila University is a private research university which ranks 551-600 in the world rankings and joint 95th in Asia.
- De La Salle University: Next among the top universities in the Philippines, De La Salle University (DLSU) is ranked 701-750 in the world and 134th in the latest edition of the QS Asia University Rankings.
- University of Santo Tomas: The University of Santo Tomas (UST, also known as Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas, or the Catholic University of the Philippines) is ranked 701+ in the world rankings and 157th in Asia.
DOH Scholarship for Philippine Students 2019 Application Deadline
Currently, this scholarship is unavailable but we shall keep you posted on the new date
DOH Scholarship for Philippine Students 2019 Application Link
You can begin the application and get more details by clicking the Scholarship Link
Eligibility for winning our scholarship EBook
Get our Scholarship Ebook for free now, indicate interest in the comment section and the Ebook will be sent to you. This offer is for the first 50 people.