Please Share This Information With Your Friends
Offers are now available for the Gates Millennium Scholarship which is a tuition-sponsorship program made available for exceptional, Pell-eligible, minority, high school seniors. Gates Millennium Fellows receive a full scholarship to attend a US college or US university. They receive leadership development opportunities, mentoring and academic, financial and social support.
Know about Gates Millennium Scholars
The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) program is a scholarship and university program available to high-level ethnic minority students in the United States.
It’s a $1.6 billion initiative, founded in 1999 and funded by Microsoft founder Bill Gates through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The GMS Program is more than just a scholarship.
- GMS provides Gates Millennium Scholars with Academic Empowerment (ACE) services to promote academic excellence.
- Mentoring for academic and personal development; and an online resource center that provides information on internships, scholarships, and scholarships.
The aim of the GMS program is to promote academic excellence and to provide outstanding minority students with significant financial needs the opportunity to reach their highest potential by:
- Reduce financial barriers for African American, Indian/Alaskan, Asian Pacific and American and Hispanic students with high academic and leading promises who have significant financial needs.
- Increasing the representation of these target groups in the disciplines of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, health care, and science, in which these groups are strongly underrepresented.
The Gates Scholarship is a highly selective last-dollar scholarship for exceptional, Pell-eligible seniors from minority high school students. Starting in 2018, the scholarship will be awarded each year to 300 top executives to further their academic excellence through graduate education and to give them the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Level/Field of Study
The Gates Millennium Scholarship is open to high school seniors to undertake an undergraduate study in the disciplines of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, health care, and science
Gates Millennium Scholarship is hosted and taken in the United States of America.
Although the Gates Millennium Scholarship seeks minority and people of race, only US citizen, national, or permanent resident are eligible for the scholarship.
Students who have been selected as Gates Millennium Fellows receive funds equal to an amount set by GMS based on their financial needs.
The award is based on the cost of tuition, books and living expenses for the academic year, as well as the availability of scholarships and other scholarships indicated in the student’s grant. Hence, the benefits are meant to;
- Support education costs by covering unmet needs and self-help.
- Finance graduate schools for the continuation of Gates Millennium Scholars in computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or natural science.
- Provide leadership development programs with special personal, academic and career growth opportunities.
- The Undergraduate Award scholarship may be renewed annually provided satisfactory progress has been made, full-time enrollment is completed, and the required documentation has been submitted on time.
Who is Eligible for Gates Millennium Scholarship?
For you to be eligible for the Gates Millennium Scholarship as an international student, you must be:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicity: African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- A minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
- The student must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at the US accredited, not-for-profit, private or Public College or University.
Gates Millennium Scholarship Ideal Candidate
While you hope to win the Gates Millennium scholarship award, the foundation requires you to have certain qualities.
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class),
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities), and
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.).
How can I apply for the Gates Millennium Scholarship?
Applying for the Gates Millennium scholarship 2020 is not difficult. All you have to do is click on the Gates Millennium scholarship official website. However, you would have to create an account with the Gates Scholarship.
You can sign up and begin your application process by hitting the button below
The application portal for the Gates Millennium scholarship opens on July 15th, and it will accept applications from interested applicants until September 15th in every year.
For more information about the Gates Millennium Scholarship, tap the button below
Gates Millennium Scholarship | FAQs
Does your program provide Graduate Funding?
Continuing Gates Scholars may request a fellowship for a graduate degree program in one of the following discipline whereas: Computer Science, Education, Engineering, Library Science, Mathematics, Public Health or Science.
The Gates Millennium Scholars scholarship can be used at any U.S. accredited college or university of your choice. Graduate funding is only provided to students that are current Gates Scholars pursuing their graduate studies.
Can you e-mail my username/password?
For security purposes, GMS does not distribute username or password via email. If you would like to speak with a GMS representative, please contact us at 1-877-690-GMSP (4677)
How much does the gates millennium scholarship cover?
Students selected as Gates Millennium Scholars will receive funds in an amount to be determined by GMS based on financial need. The award is based on the cost of tuition, fees, books and living expenses for the academic year, as well as the availability of grants, and other scholarships reported on the student’s financial aid award letter.
How do I get to my Gates Millennium Scholars Program application?
In order to access your GMS application please go to scholarships.gmsp.org
What is the Pell Grant?
Federal Pell Grant eligibility is determined by a set of federal financial guidelines for qualified individuals who were enrolled in an eligible program of study at the undergraduate level and who had not already received a bachelor’s degree.
In addition to meeting certain financial criteria, individuals must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents or nationals of the United States.
Federal Pell Grant eligibility is a function of many factors, including dependency status, family income, family size, and the number of students in the family. The one and only authoritative determination of eligibility is made through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process.
Are College Students Eligible for your scholarship?
Our scholarship program was available to incoming freshmen students who had completed the application process and been selected as Gates Scholar prior to entering college. If you were enrolled as a degree-seeking student, unfortunately you were not eligible to apply for the GMS program.