The NYU Abu Dhabi Research Institute invites scholars who wish to contribute to the vibrant research culture of NYUAD’s Saadiyat campus to apply for a residential fellowship during Academic Year 2020-2021.
Application Deadline: 1st October 2019
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): UAE
About the Award: While open to scholars working in all areas of the Humanities, the program aims in particular to build a center of outstanding research capacity in areas of the Humanities that are relevant for the study of the Arabic world, its rich intellectual, religious, and scientific history, its cultural and artistic heritage as expressed in traditional and new media, and its interaction with other cultures in the past and present.
Scholars of Arabic culture and history will find it enriching to work alongside fellows who conduct research in related and adjacent fields. Scholarship furthered by this program is closely connected to the research profile of NYUAD’s faculty in the Arts and Humanities; its Liberal Arts curriculum, with concentrations on History, Literature, Philosophy, the Arab Crossroads program, and Museum Studies; related departments and research centers at NYU New York; and NYUAD’s outreach program in the UAE.
Type: Research, PhD
- Eligible candidates for the senior fellowships have an outstanding scholarly accomplishment, including an internationally recognized publication record.
- Mid-career scholars with strong publication records and exceptional scholarly promise may be considered in this category.
- Eligible candidates for the junior fellowships, which are intended especially for young scholars who wish to turn their doctoral dissertations into book manuscripts publishable with major academic presses, have received their PhD within the previous five years and have a strong record of scholarly accomplishment.
- All research fellowships will be offered to scholars who demonstrate interest in playing an active role in the intellectual community of NYUAD, in particular by exchanging ideas with other Institute fellows and with NYU faculty and students.
- The fellowships are open to scholars of all backgrounds and nationalities.
Number of Awards: The Institute hosts up to two senior fellows and up to four junior fellows.
Value of Award: For the period of their fellowships, scholars are offered work/office space at the Institute, full use of NYUAD’s library facilities (which are substantial, closely connected as they are to NYU’s Main Library in New York), administrative support, housing at NYUAD’s campus on Saadiyat Island, a fellowship stipend commensurate with experience, a personal research allowance, an opportunity to host a small workshop funded by the Research Institute, support for travel to and from Abu Dhabi. Fellowship recipients are responsible for conforming to tax requirements of their home countries.
How to Apply: Applications are due by October 1, 2019 and must be submitted through the electronic application form.