The United Nations Information Service’s Graduate Study Programme provides an opportunity for participants to deepen their understanding of the United Nations system through first-hand observation and study. The Graduate Study Programme is held at the United Nations Office at Geneva each year during the month of July.
Application Deadline: 2nd March 2020
Eligible Countries: All
To Be Taken At (Country): Geneva, Switzerland
About the Award: The 58th Graduate Study Programme will be held at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland from Monday, 29 June to Friday, 10 July 2020. It will comprise lectures given by senior members of the United Nations and other Geneva-based organizations, visits to institutions, and daily work in working groups under the guidance of expert moderators. The GSP theme for 2020 will be:
“United Nations at 75: Shaping Our Future Together”
Participants will form working groups to study issues related to the various dimensions of this theme, under the guidance of United Nations experts. They will be provided with selected documents and publications on the theme under discussion.
Eligibility: The majority of the sessions will be held in English, therefore absolute fluency in English is essential. As several sessions will be held in French, solid working knowledge of French is also required.
Selection and Criteria: The Selection Committee is guided by the following criteria:
• Academic background
• Extracurricular activities
• Geographical balance
• Gender balance
• Knowledge of the two working languages of the Programme (English and French)
• Usefulness of the Programme for the career of the applicant
In order to give the largest number of students the possibility to participate in the Programme, applicants who have already participated in previous editions of the Graduate Study Programme will not be considered by the Committee.
Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. The Selection Committee does not disclose the motivation of its choices. Decisions of the Selection Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Participation in the programme is free. The United Nations does not make any financial contribution towards the travel costs and residential expenses of participants. Governments or universities may offer grants to selected candidates. Candidates should seek advice from their universities on this point.
Duration of Program: 29 June to 10 July 2020.
How to Apply:
- The application form is to be filled in on our website, accompanied by a copy of the applicant’s passport, a letter of recommendation (in English or French only) from a university or governmental authority, proof of current enrolment (at the time of application) in a Master’s degree programme or a postgraduate degree programme (or equivalent), and university diplomas obtained.Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Once selected, successful candidates will be asked ahead of time to provide a medical certificate attesting good health and a proof of medical insurance coverage in Switzerland at the time of the GSP (these two documents will only be accepted in English or French). Applications from those already employed full time cannot be considered.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying
Important Notes: Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.