IDRC Doctoral Research Awards 2020 for Students from Developing Countries
Application Deadline: 17th June 2020 by 4:00 PM (EDT)
Offered Annually? Yes
To be taken at (country): Positions are available at IDRC’s head office in Ottawa, Canada AND other regions ie: Middle East, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa, Southeast Asia, South Asia, Far East Asia, Caribbean, Central America, South America, Oceania.
About the Award: Research award recipients will undertake a one-year paid program of research on the topic they have submitted, and will receive hands-on experience in research management, grant administration, and the creation, dissemination, and use of knowledge from an international perspective.
Type: Research, Internship
Eligibility: To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, or a citizen of a developing country, excluding countries in Southern and Eastern Europe, South Caucasus and Central Asia (but including Afghanistan).
- You must be enrolled at a Canadian university at the doctoral level (when you submit your application, you must have completed several courses of the doctoral program, but not necessarily all courses).
- Your research proposal must be approved by your thesis supervisor. Please provide proof.
- Your proposed field research must take place in one or more developing countries and be conducted for a doctoral dissertation.
- Your field research must correspond to IDRC thematic priorities. Applications proposing field research outside these thematic areas will not be considered.
- You must provide evidence of affiliation with an institution or organization in the developing region(s) in which the research will take place.
- You must have completed coursework and passed comprehensive exams before taking up the award.
- You may not be in receipt of two or more active IDRC awards at the same time. No time overlaps will be permitted.
Other eligibility requirements include:
If you are selected for an award, you have up to 12 months to start your field research from the date of the final selection.
You must plan to spend a minimum of 10 consecutive weeks in the field when your research involves one or more countries in one region. The regions are: Middle East, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa, Southeast Asia, South Asia, Far East Asia, Caribbean, Central America, South America, Oceania.
When your research involves more than one region, you must plan to spend a minimum of 5 consecutive weeks in the field in each region
The maximum time for which research costs can be covered under this award is 12 months in the field; if you plan to stay longer, you must cover additional costs from another source of funding.
It will be your responsibility to ensure that you follow all Government of Canada travel advisories while applying, when planning your trip, and while in the field. IDRC will not approve travel to a region for which there is an advisory that all travel should be avoided. If you are selected and the advisory changes, you will still be required to follow it even after a contract is signed.
Research country exceptions
In principle, IDRC supports research in all developing countries. At this time, however, we do not offer awards for research that involves the following countries:
Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Mali, North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of), Somalia, South Sudan, Syria, Yemen, Southern and Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and South Caucasus.
Countries subject to approval
You may apply for research in the following countries and territories, but if you are recommended for an award, your application may be subject to a further stage of approval within IDRC:
Afghanistan, Congo (Democratic Republic of), Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Gabon, Gaza, Guinea-Bissau, Maldives, Micronesia, Monserrat, Myanmar, Sudan, Suriname, Venezuela, West Bank, Zimbabwe, some small island states, including Comoros, São Tomé and Principe, Saint Helena, Timor-Leste, and the Pacific Islands (Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna).
Number of Awards: 20
Value of Program: Salary for one year in Canada
Duration of Program: 12 months
How to Apply: Before applying, please read the checklist of documents required for this call via Program Webpage (Link below).