Application Deadline: 28th May 2021.
About the Award: This opportunity covers tuition fees and living costs to undertake a PhD at UCL. It is funded by UCL’s Global Engagement Office and is open to applicants who permanently reside in South Africa.
Students will be expected to spend most of their time in South Africa, conducting their research at AHRI. While in London, students will be expected to attend seminars, postgraduate club meetings and other UCL doctoral students’ events.
Eligible Field(s): The proposed PhD research must be in the field of Medical Sciences and/or Population Health. This covers everything from single molecules through to cells and tissues to whole organisms and animal and human populations for improved human health and wellbeing worldwide.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be domiciled in South Africa at the time of application.
- Hold a letter of recommendation from a proposed supervisor at UCL*
- Be working with AHRI already or hold an approved letter of support to complete a PhD at AHRI*
- Be willing to stay in London for up to one year during their PhD studies. This time can be split into two periods of six months if required.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be Taken at (Country): UK & South Africa
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The PhD Studentship will fund:
- All fees for a three-year doctorate at UCL per year.
- Two round-trip economy air fares to and from SA to UK.
- Support for reasonable London living costs for up to one year.
- UCL Bench fees.
- Support for Durban living costs for two years.
Duration of Award: 3 years
How to Apply: Please complete the AHRI/UCL PhD Studentship Application form in detail and upload the following documents:
- Letter of recommendation from your proposed supervisor at AHRI.
- Letter of recommendation from your proposed supervisor at UCL.
- A copy of your academic CV.
- Certified copies of your academic transcripts and original certificates.