ENABLE Youth Kenya Program is currently seeking suitable agripreneurs as incubatees to be trained and empowered within the supported value chains via a countrywide recruitment exercise.
Application Deadline: 25th November, 2020
About the Award: The Empowering Novel Agribusiness-Led Employment (ENABLE) Youth Kenya Program aims at contributing to job creation, food security and nutrition, income generation and improved livelihoods for youths in both urban and rural areas.
The specific objective of the Program is to create business opportunities and decent employment for youth along priority agricultural value chains.
The Program is funded by the Government of Kenya and the African Development Bank (AfDB). It is implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries & Cooperatives.
The Program is implemented using an incubation model for agricultural entrepreneurship (agripreneurship) which entails training, nurturing, mentoring, coaching and financing successful youth candidates.
The Incubation and Training will take into consideration the COVID-19 Ministry of Health protocols. The incubation model is centered in eight Youth Agri-Business Incubation Centres (YABICs) within eight national training institutions across the country.
Eligible Field(s): The Program focuses on the entire agriculture value chain from production, processing and value addition; input supplies and marketing.
This recruitment will be carried out by ACAL Consulting and will target the following two categories:
Two categories of target Incubation process
- Standard Incubatee: (Start-up) Targets unemployed graduates (Diploma or Degree) or start-up agripreneur who has run or been involved in an agribusiness for not less than one and half years with an agribusiness idea that requires incubation to actualize. The expected timeline for the standard Incubatees to go through the incubation process will be between six and twelve months.
- Accelerated Incubatee: Targets graduates (Diploma/Degree) youth who own and run an agribusiness that has been in existence for at least more than one and half years but lack access to credit, market linkages or require better business planning skills to accelerate business growth. The expected timeline for the accelerated Incubatees to go through the incubation process will be between three and six months.
Type: Training, Entrepreneurship
Eligibility: The opportunity is open to all Kenyan Youths who meet the eligibility criteria below.
- 1. Must be a Kenyan Citizen with a National ID, aged between 18-35 Years.
- 2. A holder of Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized institution in any field of study.
- 3. Shall be required to submit a PIN No. from Kenya Revenue Authority, and a certificate from an approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
- 4. A demonstrable interest in Agriculture/ Agribusiness either through previous clubs & associations, personal initiatives, seminars and training on agri-issues or any other criteria.
- 5. Currently not in any formal employed or engaged in any own business for Standard Incubatee (Start-up) and own and run an agribusiness for Accelerated incubatee, and not registered in any other program (academic, incubation, other development programs etc.) 6. Must be willing to choose agribusiness as a career.
- 7. Have a viable business idea and submit a preliminary simple business proposal on the standardized template to be downloaded during the application process.
- 8. Value Chains – The proposal should fit within the priority value chains (see details in the online application system at enableyouth.kilimo.go.ke as mapped out by the program and assigned to incubation centres.
Youth are invited to apply for Cycle 1 (2020) of the Incubation and Training
Eligible Countries: Kenya
To be Taken at (Country): The Kenya School of Agriculture (Nyeri), Dairy Training Institute (Nakuru), Regional Pastoral Training Centre (Narok), National Aquaculture Development Centre (Kirinyaga), Ramogi Institute of Advanced Technology RIAT (Kisumu), Pwani University (Kilifi), Kisii University (Kisii) and University of Eldoret (Uasin Gishu). Each centre is focused on specific value chains as detailed online at enableyouth.kilimo.go.ke.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Successful candidates will be trained and empowered within the supported value chains
How to Apply:
- i. Get more details and Apply online at https://enableyouth.kilimo.go.ke
- ii. Application Period: 27th October to 25th November, 2020 (30 Days)
- iii. All applications will be made online during the application open period
- iv. Shortlisted youth will be contacted by the recruitment firm – ACAL Consulting