CERN Summer Student Internship: Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics? Are you looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June – September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Online Summer Student Programme!
Application Deadline: 31st January 2021 at 12 am CET
Eligible Countries: Member and Non-Member countries
About the Award: Over a period of up to three months, you will work on an advanced technical project as part of an experimental, engineering or computing team.
During this unique and exciting time, you can attend a series of online lectures specially prepared for you where experts and scientists from around the world share their knowledge about a wide range of topics in the fields of theoretical and experimental particle physics, engineering and computing. Find out more on the Summer Student information page. A short report on your work project will be expected at the end of your online internship.
Eligibility: In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European Summer 2021, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your online studentship with CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2021 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months and you have not previously been a Summer Student at CERN (please note that exceptionally, students who took part in the 2020 online learning initiative are eligible to apply).
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Online Summer Student
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: CERN would very much like to benefit from your commitment and passion, and in return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of up to three months to work on a technical project.
- An extensive online physics lecture programme (you will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by CERN openlab).
- A modest stipend ( to be defined)
- Virtual social events for all the participants to create and nurture the community of 2021 Online Summer Students.
- Online workshops
Duration of Programme: 8 weeks
Every Monday from the start of June to the start of July, namely: 7 June, 14 June, 21 June, 28 June and 5 July 2021.
How to Apply: You will need the following documents, clearly labelled (e.g. “CV”, “Motivation letter”, “Academic transcript”, etc.) and in PDF format to complete your application:
- A CV in either English or French.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure the document is not protected so that we can open it).
- Two mandatory reference letter, from your lecturers/teachers and/or previous internship supervisors.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal (only reference letters should be submitted afterwards).
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. You must forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2021).
NOTE: owing to the ongoing global Covid-19 pandemic and driven by our commitment to enable students to take part in our unique regular yearly CERN Summer Student Programme, the 2021 edition will run with a completely online approach.