Application Deadline: 25th March 2021.
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: BIEA graduate attachments offer recent graduates, with an interest in further studies in Africa, the opportunity to gain practical experience of research. In 2021/22 there were will be three GAS cohorts, which will run from July-September 2021, October-December 2021, and January to March 2022.
Given the current COVID pandemic, the scheme will initially be run wholly on-line with the possibility of some face-to-face work dependent on travel and health and safety regulations.
Graduate attachés will be involved in three types of work while at the BIEA:
- Attachés will develop specific research interests in the region, gain practical experience of conducting research by working as a research assistant on a number of innovative historical, archaeological, anthropological, political science and legal projects, gain trainings in research methods, and meet a variety of active researchers;
- Assist with the administration of the BIEA including website, library, reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, workshops and seminars; and,
- Conduct their own research usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or PhD. Their attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Seminar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA;
- Have the opportunity to take beginner’s Kiswahili classes.
- You will need a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing your own research.
- You should also be able to show significant initiative and that you are equally adept at working and living alone or as part of a large team.
- You should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various field projects and subsequent data analysis.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: As a graduate attaché, you will receive a monthly stipend of 260 GBP towards subsistence costs. There may also be opportunity to apply for a small research allowance, which will be discussed further with successful applicants.
Duration of Programme:
- Graduate attachments are three months long. There may be opportunities to extend your stay but accommodation, food, visa and transport changes will be at the attaché’s own expense.
- Graduate attachés can arrive on 1 July 2021, 1 October 2021, and 1 January 2022 for a three-month period.
- Please specify the three-month time period(s) that you are available for this scheme in your application.
How to Apply: To Apply. Applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing any research experience that you have (including methods used) and explaining how participation in the scheme will assist the development of your career. You will need to arrange for two academic references to be sent directly to BIEA.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying