This new annual prize, named after the TWAS Fellow Samira Omar, will recognize scientists from Least Developed Countries (LDCs). It carries a cash award of USD4,000 generously provided by Professor Omar. The 2021 award will honour a woman scientist working in an area relevant to sustainability.
Application Deadline: 12th May 2021
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo Dem. Rep., Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Haiti, Kiribati, Lao PDR, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, São Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.
About the Award: Our planet, and therefore our existence, faces several challenges: world population, food security, climate change, biodiversity loss, water scarcity/poor sanitation, energy resources. Sustainability involves considering the relationship between the finite resources of the planet and the way of life adopted by humans: in what way can our existence be maintained and at what level?
Eligibility: The 2021 award will be awarded to a scientist national of a LDC, living and working in a LDC during the last two years immediately prior to her nomination, based on scientific achievements in any of the thematic areas below:
– Clean and renewable energy
– Green chemistry
– Sustainable agriculture and agrobiodiversity
– Plastic: degradation, pollution and microplastics
– Water purification and sanitation
– Climate change: environmental effects, methane contribution, carbon capture
– Transportation technologies: efficiency for smart cities
– Waste management
– Biodiversity: the sixth mass extinction, ecosystem services, habitat recovery and restoration
– Ecological economics and planetary health
Fellows of TWAS are not eligible
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: USD4,000
How to Apply: Interested nominators/candidates are to complete the Application Form electronically (See in Program Webpage Link below), by 12 May 2021.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.