The Leiden African Studies Assembly calls for applications for a three-month (90 days) visiting fellowship at Leiden University (African Studies Centre) from January up to and including March 2022.
Application Deadline: 20th June 2021
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): The Netherlands
About the Award: The ASC Leiden hosts visiting research fellows in the framework of the Leiden African Studies Assembly (Leiden ASA), a network for cooperation between Leiden based Africanists. Visiting research fellows use their time in Leiden for data analysis and/or writing, often on a joint project with one or more ASCL staff members and with Africanists at other institutes or faculties of Leiden University. A visiting research fellowship is for a maximum of 90 days. Apart from the regular visiting research fellowship programme, the ASCL also offers a joint fellowship programme with the IIAS (International Institute for Asian Studies).
Type: Fellowship, Research
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for a LeidenASA 90-days Visiting Research Fellowship, the applicant has to fulfil all of the following criteria. He or she must:
- Hold a PhD degree, by the time of applying;
- Have conducted research, as part of the PhD and/or in later projects; with a focus on Africa;
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career;
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards;
- In accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of the fellowship.
In the assessment of applications that meet these requirements,
- Preference will be given to applicants based in Africa. ‘Africa’ here refers to the member states of the African Union. ‘Based in’ Africa is understood to mean having lived in Africa during at least two of the last four years; and
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality, intended outputs and feasibility of the research project proposed for the fellowship.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: A fellowship includes
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Accommodation in Leiden: a fellow is provided with his/her own single bed/sitting room. Kitchen and bathroom are to be shared with a maximum of two other fellows (male/female). If the offered accommodation is unacceptable for the fellow he/she is requested to look for alternative accommodation him/herself. Alternative accommodation will not be paid for by the fellowship.
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing medical condition).
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
Duration of Programme: There is an open call for three 90-day fellowships to be scheduled in the first six months of 2022 (either January-February-March or April-May-June).
How to Apply: There is an open call for three 90-day fellowships to be scheduled in the first six months of 2022 (either January-February-March or April-May-June). Scholars who wish to apply, and who meet all of the criteria as mentioned above are requested to complete and send this online form (English/français). In addition, applicants have to send all of the following documents by email to M.A.Westra@asc.leidenuniv.nl:
– an updated list of your publications
– a digital copy of two international publications, preferably journal articles
– a recent letter of recommendation
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The deadline for applications is 20 June 2021. The final decision will be made and announced by mid-September 2021 at the latest.