Latvia is a safe and welcoming cities and spectacular coastline. It is ideal for students and visitors alike. Located on the Baltic Sea, Latvia is somewhat of a crossroads between East and West, and in this cosmopolitan country .The country has a population of 2 million people, capital and largest city is Riga, spoken languages are Latvian (official) and Russian, English (especially in business and tourism). Latvia uses Euros as official currency
In today’s article, we will consider latvian higher education system, cost of living, admission requirements, tuition fees and the list of low tuition universities in latvia.
Latvian higher education system
Latvian higher education system is split into three cycles:
- First Cycle :undergraduate degrees that takes three or four years to complete
- Second Cycle : postgraduate qualifications that takes one to three years to complete
- Third Cycle : PhD studies that takes at least three years to complete
Cost of Living in Latvia
The costs of living in Latvia depend on the area of housing. If you rent a small apartment with only one bedroom, the prices of rent go from 250 EUR (275 USD) to 350 EUR (385 USD).
Food is also affordable. Depending on your habits, your monthly budget for groceries should be between 120 EUR (132 USD) and 200 EUR (220 USD). Eating in a fast food restaurant can cost up to 6 USD while having lunch at a restaurant in the business district can cost up to 10 USD.
If you use public transportation every day, 50 EUR (55 USD) should be enough.
You can get more information about the prices of basic student’s needs on Numbeo.
Undergraduate Entry Requirements:
International students applying for studies at the undergraduate level are required to be in possession of
- A valid secondary/high school result
Postgraduate Entry Requirements:
If you are applying for a postgraduate/master’s program at a higher education institution in Latvia, you are required to be in possession of
- A relevant bachelor’s or equivalent degree diploma.
Doctorate or PhD Entry Requirements:
International students applying for a doctoral program are required to have
- A relevant diploma or master’s degree program.
In Latvia, higher education institutions set their own fees. EU students have to pay tuition fees that range from about 1200 EUR per year to over 9900 per year depending on the study program. Non-EU students have to pay higher tuition fees, from 2500 EUR to over 11300 EUR per year.
List of Low Tuition Universities in Latvia
- Ventspils University of Applied Sciences..
- Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies.
- EKA University of Applied Sciences.
- University of Latvia (Latvijas Universitāte)
- University of Liepāja.
- University of Daugavpils.
- Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences.
- Daugavpils UniversityLatvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
- Riga Technical University
- Art Academy of Latvia
- University of Latvia
- Liepaja University
- Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences
- Riga Stradiņš University